Terms & Conditions
- Style: The commission will be executed by myself in conformity with my established artistic practice, based on the Kufi styles (this includes Manuscript Kufi, Eastern Kufi, Square Kufi and derivatives, Maghribi and freestyle contemporary Kufi; it excludes Naskh, Thuluth, Diwani, Nastaaliq and any other round script).
- Communication: All communication pertaining to the commission will either take place by email, or be confirmed in writing after we’ve spoken, to avoid miscommunication of any kind.
Deposit: A 50% non-refundable deposit is required before I begin putting down ideas. (But the deposit will be refunded if I’m unable to complete the work for reasons independent of the client.)
Work Process: Your requirements and preferences will be duly noted, and at key stages in the process I will show you sketches for approval. However, the expertise lies with me and this cannot be a team effort. If you really like my work, trust me to make a better piece than you can envision. If you’re worried about not liking the result, I am probably not the right artist for you.
Framing: If required, framing is the responsibility of the client.
Delivery: Pickup from the studio, or the costs of crating and shipping, are the responsibility of the client. I will get an estimate and confirm shipping charges with you before preparing the parcel and making necessary arrangements. The modalities would typically be:
– Smaller works: shipped with Royal Mail Tracked and Signed, or with Fedex if speed is required.
– Large pieces: collected by Pack & Send, professionally crated, and shipped with insurance coverage.
Balance: To be paid upon completion of the work, when I send photos of the finished piece. This will include the added delivery-related costs if applicable.
- Import charges, if applicable, are outside my remit and are the responsibility of the client. Please don’t ask me to undervalue the work on export documents. It’s unlawful and I am not putting my career at risk for anyone.
- Rights: This agreement is for the making and acquisition of a physical object. I retain all rights to the artwork, including the right to publish and derive prints and/or products from the design. Licensing permissions and/or copyright acquisition need to be negotiated separately. (In the case of a logo, copyright acquisition is included and billed by default.)
The guide below is meant to offer ideas and make it easier to describe to me what you’re looking for, but possibilities are not restricted to these examples.
1. My most popular type of commission is the mandala: one word/name in watercolour & metal leaf on paper, size 40×40 to 50x50cm, for £400 + shipping. It’s possible to use more words but we’ll have to discuss.
2. If you wish to have a short text done, here are the main scripts I work with. You can browse Historical Styles for a closer look at how these particular layouts look, but ornaments are optional/variable. Cost will depend on size, number of words and materials.
3. For Treasure Boxes, I have three price tiers:
– Regular: Medium box with movable tray, £240 + shipping.
– Modest: Slightly smaller box with no movable tray, £120 + shipping.
– Extravagant: Larger box with movable tray and extra compartments/drawers/interactivity (based on the theme and the vintage box I’m using), £480 + shipping.
If you’re commissioning a box, tell me the theme you want or the person it’s for and anything you want me to know about it. If there are particular elements ou’d like there, let me know and if at all possible I will integrate them. But be aware that I won’t share anything about the box before I send it, it will be a surprise!